Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Delectable Collectibles

Growing up I used to collect stuff. I collected American Girl dolls and all the accessories to boot (side note: I should really start doing research on all these colloquialisms and phrases like "to boot" and "paddywack").

Then I collected fairies. Oh, lord did I LOVE fairies and anything fairy-related. Books, figurines, toys, glitter packaged in a small plastic Ziplock labeled "Fairy Dust." Fairies were my thing. I even commissioned some lady at a Renaissance Fair (and yes, I used to be obsessed with Renaissance Fairs) to design personalized fairy wings for me. (She has a Web site, in case you find the need to have your own personalized set of fairy wings or you are still obsessed with Renaissance Fairs). I am not ashamed. I was a weird kid. I am probably turning into a weird adult.

Regardless, I don't really collect anything anymore. Nothing. I like a lot of things, but I don't really have a collection of any kind. I am still a person who doesn't throw out stuff. I have a lot of memorabilia and the like, but I have no spoons from around the globe, no shot glasses to display, no valuable stamp assortment. Collecting, for me, was a fleeting childhood hobby.

My dad collected comic books as a child. He also collected Toby mugs. Here's the difference: he kept his childhood collections. I, on the other hand, donated mine to Goodwill.

I wonder why my father carefully packaged and protected each of his comic books and thoughtfully displayed his Toby mugs on the mantle, while I was able to part with my fairies in the blink of an eye. Maybe nothing can hold my attention long enough. Maybe it's another dreaded "generational thing." Maybe comic books and Toby mugs are just cooler than fairies.

Maybe this post is rambling?

Yep, it is.

0 comments: